Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bone Marrow Test Refusal?

I'm 73 yrs old. Today I bushhogged 7 acres, trimmed a row of large trees down my road, replaced 2 screens on the house, all before noon.
I also have been attended a university, taking a 200 level history course and and a 300 level psychology course. Two days ago I volunteered to take a bone marrow test for a peson in need. They told me I'm to old to donate!! what the hell is that all about!!!Bone Marrow Test Refusal?
They're not questioning your vigor!
As people grow older there is a greater chance that their marrow can carry some pathogens that would be dangerous if not deadly to the recipient.
Some agencies have restrictions on the maximum age to join the program, and a maximum age when people in the program can no longer participate.
P.S. I hope to have your level of vitality if I reach your age. My hat's off to you, mate!
Not only do donor registries have an upper, but they have a lower age limit. The chance of complications increases after 60; so oftentimes they limit donors between 18-60.
This isn't a question of your physical ability, but potential complications to you if there was a problem.
There are many other restrictions placed on donating marrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment