Saturday, October 23, 2010

B12 shot (what size needle)? Help!?

I have to give myself B12 shots (Prenicous Anemia) but I dread the needle that is 1 inch long. My doctor says it must go deep into the muscle. I am having a hard time talking myself in to it. Help! Can't I use a smaller needle such as for insulin?B12 shot (what size needle)? Help!?
the needle cant be shorter otherwise it wont reach into the muscle, and try a 22g, 23g, or a 25gauge needle. I personally have found the 22g to make the injection time end sooner since the fluid will travel quicker into the muscle. If you cant work your nerves to do it yourself, get a friend nurse to do it. another thing I found very helpful is to pinch and squeeze the area (about an inch in diameter) for about 45 seconds, where you are going to have the injection, the pinching and squeezing will trigger the pain desensitizers in your body to release, making the injection less painful.
No. You cannot use a shorter needle. those will go into the subcutaneous tissue and it will not be absorbed properly. It will also develop a knot and it will eventually hurt really bad. Don't you have a nurse friend wo can give it in your butt? Those hurt much less than in the leg.
No, it should be a 1 inch needle, but maybe you can use a 25 gauge- a smaller type of needle ( the hole in the needle is smaller) that you can feel not as much as say a 23gauge (the hole or "lumen" is larger).
If you are really freaked out about giving yourself the shot, maybe you can arrange for a "treatment nurse" to give you the shots- just bring your own supply (vial) of B12 to the appt.

1 comment:

  1. I have to give myself injections bi-weekly and i just ice the area a little before hand... I don't feel a thing :)
    Just make sure not to ice the area too long becasue the needle needs to go into the skin easily. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete